Hair fall has become an epidemic of sorts! Almost every woman I know is plagued with this issue. Yours truly included. The hard water in Bangalore is a huge contributor. Now, I’ve always been careful to use SLS free shampoos. However, sometime last year my hair fall issue took a nasty turn. Overnight I started losing a lot more hair than I used to till then. It affected me so much, it almost brought me to tears!
I started scouring for still better shampoos that might not only help with my intensive hair fall but also to regrow lost hair. After researching a lot, based on multiple good reviews, I zeroed in on MamaEarth Onion Shampoo.
Why onion shampoo?
1. Because the high sulfur content in onion juice is said to act like the doctor-prescribed medicine Minoxidil that aids in regrowing lost hair.
2. I lack the patience needed to do a DIY onion juice home remedy myself!
MamaEarth Onion Shampoo…..
It comes in a white colored HDPE plastic bottle with a pump top. The bottle and pump appear to be sturdy and will last without breaking until I use up the shampoo. Dispensing the shampoo can be a single-handed operation due to the convenient pump top.
The size of the bottle, and the fact that the nozzle cannot be closed once opened, makes it not very travel-friendly.
The label has all the required information like key ingredients and directions for use. It can be easily read.
Aqua, Caprylyl/Capryl Glucoside, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Vegetable Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Onion Oil, Plant Keratin, Glycerol Stearate, D-Panthenol, Polyquaternium 73, Polyquaternium 10, Vitamin E, Sodium PCA, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Gluconate, Phenoxyethanol & IFRA Certified Allergen Free Fragrance
According to the MamaEarth website….
- Reduces hair fall: Onion Oil reduces hair fall, provides nourishment and helps in the growth of lost hair.
- Strengthens hair: Loaded with Plant Keratin, this Shampoo gently cleanses hair & prevents damage caused due to washing. It forms a protective layer that strengthens hair from within.
- Makes hair soft: Gentle surfactants cleanse hair & scalp without stripping. Keratin prevents damage & dryness, maintains the moisture balance of hair, and leaves hair soft & smooth.
How to use:
Take required quantity into your palm and with your fingertips gently massage it into your wet scalp and hair. Work it into a lather. Rinse thoroughly and follow it up with a silicone-free conditioner.
The MamaEarth Onion Shampoo is translucent white in color. It also has a slight shimmer. The consistency is almost flowy, gel-like.
The fragrance is mild, slightly floral and a bit chemical-y.
I have shoulder-length hair and need about 3-4 pumps of shampoo. Surprisingly, despite being SLS free, it lathers pretty well. It easily got rid of all oil and dirt from my hair.
Check price on Amazon
However, after I washed my hair thoroughly, it still left me feeling as if the shampoo has not been washed off completely. It also left my hands with this slimy, soapy feeling.
After I let my hair dry naturally, I realized they have become wavy (I have straight hair) but soft and manageable.
Coming to the main result for which I actually opted for this shampoo: hair fall control. I must say that after using the shampoo twice a week for a couple of weeks, I did notice a slight reduction in my hair fall. It was not a significant difference, but at the time, even this small difference meant a lot to me. So, I continued using the shampoo hoping to see further improvement.
However, after the initial hair fall reduction which wasn’t very significant, there was no further reduction in my hair fall. I continued to lose hair.
My reasons for recommending:
- Free of Paraben and SLS
- Suitable for all hair types
- Gets rid of oil and dirt with little effort
- Leaves hair soft and manageable
- A slight reduction in hair fall
- The company is ‘plastic positive’, which means they recycle more plastic than they use.
- If you fill up a form on their website providing your details, they will arrange to pick up your used plastic bottles and tubs.
Points to ponder:
- The primary purpose of hair fall control was not achieved as per my expectations.
- Personally, I avoid products that leave a slimy, soapy feeling behind, as if the product has not been washed off completely.
- I like my hair in its natural straight form and this left my hair wavy even on the second day of shampooing
I was experiencing intense hair fall when I bought this shampoo. I am grateful that it initially arrested my hair loss even if to a small extent. However, this one doesn’t meet my needs completely.
The MamaEarth Onion Shampoo will work really well for those who are fortunate to not have severe hair loss issues and are looking for a change from their current shampoo. It leaves your hair oil-free and dirt-free and very manageable.
As for me, my hunt for a good hair fall control shampoo continues…….